Make a Puppet Stage
from a cardboard box!
Tom Knight demonstrates how to make a puppet stage from a cardboard box.
(These directions are currently incomplete, and are scheduled to be updated by December 1st, 2011. In the meantime, for questions, contact Tom.)
These directions are for the UHaul Grand Wardrobe box, but you can adapt
them to other large boxes.
UHaul Grand Wardrobe Box (24" x 21" x 48")
1. Lay down the scrap cardboard on the floor so that you don't
accidentally scratch the floor.
2. Using the box cutter, make a cut down one of folds of the box, in order
to open it up flat.
3. Tape the gaps in the cardboard (if there are any.
4. Measure the place for the window. In the middle two sections of the
stage, mark 36" from the bottom.
5. Use a straight edge to draw a line across the middle two sections of
the box, 36" from the bottom.
6. Measure 14" from the top of the box, to mark the top of the window.
7. Measure 4" from the fold to mark the sides of the window.
8. Cut out the sides and top of the window. Do not cut the bottom of the
9. "Score" the bottom of the window. (Cut partway through, in order to
make a hinge.)
10. Cut out tabs on the top of the window.
11. Cut out slots for the tabs below the window. The slots should be about 4.5" long and 1" wide.
The bottom of the slot is 27" from the bottom.
12. Fold over the shelf and put the tabs in the slots.